Zesty Brown Rice Salad
We just love salads that are filling and go the distance, and this zesty brown rice salad does exactly that! In a rush? Serve the salad warm instead of waiting for it to cool. Want to make it a complete meal? Add some grilled chicken to the mix. It's so versatile!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Loved the crunch of the added veggies, and it looked appealing with the different colours. I was skeptical about the teens eating it, but they've claimed the leftovers for lunch!" - Anita
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes + 2-4 hours chilling time
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Serves 8-10 as a side
Cannot be frozen
You will need:
internal steaming basket
zester or peeler
large mixing bowl
- brown rice - 300g, rinsed
- water - 900g
- spring onion - 2, sliced
- carrot - 1, small, finely diced
- capsicum - 1, red, finely diced
- green beans - 100g, finely sliced
- fresh mint - 20, leaves, roughly chopped
- fresh coriander - 1/4 bunch, leaves only
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- chilli - 1, mild, red, deseeded, can reduce or omit if preferred
- lime - 1-2, large, zest and juice only
- soy sauce - 40g, or tamari (*ensure GF if required)
- sesame oil - 1 tsp
- Serving suggestions:
- chicken breast - grilled
- Add the brown rice (300g) to the internal steaming basket and rinse it well in running water before setting the basket in place. Add water (900g) to the bowl. Program 35 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 3, measuring cap on. While this is cooking, you can prepare the other ingredients. Once cooked, set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Add the peeled garlic cloves (2), deseeded chilli (1), lime zest (from 1-2 limes), lime juice (from 1-2 limes), soy sauce (40g) and sesame oil (1 tsp) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
- Add the cooked rice, sliced spring onions (2), finely diced carrot (1), finely diced capsicum (1), finely sliced green beans (100g), roughly chopped mint leaves (20), fresh coriander leaves (from 1/4 bunch) and the chilli lime dressing to a large mixing bowl. Mix to combine.
- Refrigerate for 2-4 hours before serving to allow flavours to develop.