This recipe has been shared with us by Lucy from Bake Play Smile. Yo-Yos have a soft, crumbly, shortbread-like texture that totally melts in your mouth. They are like a Melting Moment, but use custard powder instead of corn flour.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These biscuits look great and are fun to make! For a non-traditional option I'd love to try this with a chocolate ganache with finely chopped hazelnuts in lieu of the icing!" - Jeroen
No: Nuts / Eggs
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 12 minutes + cooling and assembly time
Cannot be frozen
- self raising flour - 170g
- plain flour - 85g
- custard powder - 75g
- butter - 180g, at room temperature
- vanilla - 1 tsp
- icing sugar - 60g
- butter - 40g, at room temperature
- icing sugar - 250g
- vanilla - 2 tsp
- lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- food colouring - 1, drop pink (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Add self raising flour (170g), plain flour (85g) and custard powder (85g) into bowl. Sift on Speed 3 / 30 seconds.
- Place the flour mixture into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Place the butter (180g), vanilla essence (1 tsp) and icing sugar (60g) into bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 4 or until the mixture is pale, fluffy and smooth.
- Add the flour mixture and combine on Speed 1, slowly increasing to Speed 4 until smooth and completely combined. If your mixture is too sticky, add a little more flour.
- Roll mixture into teaspoonful sized balls and place 5cm apart on the prepared baking trays. Make sure you roll your biscuits quite small because remember you'll be eating two at once!
- Press the tops of the balls lightly with a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until just lightly golden.
- Leave to cool on the trays for 10 minutes before moving to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, place butter (40g) and icing sugar (250g) into bowl. Mix on Speed 4 until pale and smooth.
- Add the vanilla essence (2 tsp), lemon juice (1/2 tsp) and one drop of pink food colouring. Program 1 minute / Speed 4.
- Join two biscuits together with 1 tsp of filling.
- Store in an airtight container.
Transport in a sealed airtight container.