Yellow Curry Paste
This is a quick and easy-to-make paste that is free from the oils and preservatives of commercially prepared pastes. It pairs up perfectly with coconut cream for a rich curry sauce that even kids will enjoy. The flavours in this paste are out of this world!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A super simple, rich and full-of-flavour paste that you can whip up after a busy day at work. It’s a winner!" - Kerry
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 15 minutes
Makes 4 portions
Can be frozen
You will need:
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- eschallots - 4, peeled
- chilli - 2-3, roughly chopped, to your preferred heat level
- ginger - 5cm piece, peeled and halved
- lemongrass - 1 stalk, roughly chopped
- fresh coriander - 1/2 bunch, including washed roots, chopped
- lime - 1, juice only
- fish sauce - 20g, *ensure GF if required
- turmeric - 3 tsp
- cumin - 1 tsp, seeds
- dried coriander - 1 tsp, ground
- curry powder - 1 tsp
- cinnamon - 1 tsp
- palm sugar - 1 Tbsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, cracked, black
- Serving suggestions:
- meat of choice - up to 1kg, to cook and serve
- coconut cream - 400g tin, to cook and serve
- vegetables of choice - to cook and serve
- rice - steamed, to serve
- Add the peeled garlic cloves (4), peeled eschallots (4), chopped chillies (2-3), peeled and halved ginger (5cm piece), chopped lemongrass (1 stalk), chopped fresh coriander (1/2 bunch), lime juice (from 1 lime), fish sauce (20g), turmeric (3 tsp), cumin seeds (1 tsp), ground coriander (1 tsp), curry powder (1 tsp), cinnamon (1 tsp), palm sugar (1 Tbsp), salt (1 tsp) and cracked black pepper (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Blend Speed 9 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 9 / 5 seconds until a paste is formed. It can be as chunky or smooth as you like.
- Store in an airtight jar or bottle for up to a week or divide into 4 portions and freeze until needed.
- In your mixer or in a hot pan, stir one portion of the paste until aromatic.
- Add your meat of choice (up to 1kg), stir until sealed on all sides.
- Add coconut cream (400g tin) and any preferred vegetables to the pan. Allow to simmer until the meat is cooked through.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Make your own!
* Make your own curry powder with the Malaysian Meat Curry Powder recipe from The Steaming Issue Vol. 1 or the Mild Curry Powder recipe from The Spice Blends Bonus Issue.