This recipe has been shared with us by Maire Eathorne. These are a great little appetiser for the holiday season, as they are a little different to the usual offerings. Don't have access to yabbies? Simply replace with crab meat or boneless fish of choice.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These are lovely and tasty. I made them with snapper and they were light and crunchy. They would make a great plate to take along to a lunch or BBQ as well." - Kristen
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes + 30 minutes chilling time
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Can be frozen
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- chillies - 2, long, red
- onion - 1, small, peeled and chopped
- fish sauce - 2 tsp (*ensure GF if required)
- yabby meat - 750g, cooked, or seafood of choice
- ginger - 1/2 tsp, peeled and grated
- fresh coriander - 1/4 cup, or 2 tsp dried coriander
- cornflour - 1 Tbsp
- breadcrumbs - 50g (*can use GF)
- oil - for deep frying
- chilli sauce - to serve, optional
- lemon - wedges, or lime wedges, to serve, optional
- If you need to make your own breadcrumbs, add day old bread (50g) to the bowl and blitz Speed 8 / 5-10 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the garlic cloves (2), chillies (2), onion (1) and fish sauce (2 tsp) to the bowl. Chop Speed 10 / 10 seconds, measuring cap on. Scrape down sides.
- Add the seafood (750g), ginger (1/2 tsp), coriander (1/4 cup) and cornflour (1 Tbsp) to the bowl. Chop Speed 10 / 10 seconds or until mixed to the consistency of a paste.
- Using wet hands, roll the mixture into balls and coat with breadcrumbs (50g).
- Place the balls on a tray and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan on high heat. Deep fry in batches until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot or cold with sauce of choice and lemon or lime wedges.