Wholemeal English Muffin Pizzas
These tasty muffins are a great (and cost effective!) one handed lunch. They are easy to cook, can be adapted to suit any flavour you like and canalso be frozen for those last minute snacks when the pantry is bare. Consider cooking up a batch of the Pizza Sauce in the Make Your Own Bonus Issue to turn these yummy wholemeal English muffin into delicious pizzas mini pizzas.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Looked like store bought muffins and tasted light and fresh! I'll make a double batch for the freezer next time. These can be made in between other baking. They will be great for lunch boxes or weekend snacks. My toddler loved them topped with ham and cheese!" - Julie
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Total Preparation Time 2.5 hours
Can be frozen
- pizza sauce
- toppings - of choice
- English muffins:
- milk - 160g
- water - 25g
- yeast - 2 tsp, dry active
- sugar - 1/2 tsp
- egg - 1
- butter - 30g, melted
- salt - pinch
- semolina - 4 Tbsp, fine
- Place milk (160g) and water (25g) into bowl. Warm up 3 minutes / 37C / Speed 2.
- Add yeast (2 tsp) and sugar (1/2 tsp) to mixture. Mix on Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Allow to sit and become frothy for 5-10 minutes.
- Add flour (360g), egg (1), butter (30g) and salt (a pinch). Set 4 minutes/ Closed Lid / Kneading Function.
- Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise for an hour and a half.
- Roll dough out to 1cm high. Be sure your dough isn't too high otherwise your muffins won't cook through.
- Cut circles from the dough with a cookie cutter.
- Dip both sides of each circle in fine semolina.
- Leave for 30 minutes to rise just slightly.
- Place a large nonstick frying pan or oiled griddle pan over medium heat. Be sure not to have your pan too high or your muffins will not cook through and you'll burn your crust.
- Place 4 muffins into a pan and cook 6-8 minutes each side or until cooked through. This may require some experimenting as every pan and stove varies.
- Repeat for remaining dough circles.
- Once cooled, preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice muffins in half and place onto the prepared tray.
- Top with pizza sauce and toppings of choice.
- Place into the oven to cook for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble.
- Allow to cool before storing in a lunchbox or container.