If you have a thermo mixer and you haven’t made a simple watermelon slushie from frozen pieces of watermelon, you are missing out. But this recipe takes it a step further. It’s kind of like the simple watermelon slushie’s gorgeous order sister. It has a subtle more complex taste due to the sugar syrup infused with basil. You can taste the essence of basil, without any actual bits of basil. Genius. It blends together beautifully, and is perfect as it is, or turn it into a cocktail with a nip of vodka. Summer, here we come!
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 2 hours 10 minutes
Best served immediately
- watermelon - 1kg
- water - 120g
- raw sugar - 120g
- fresh basil - bunch, stems and leaves (approx. 2 cups)
- lemons - 2 medium, juice only (approx. 1/2 cup)
- ice cubes - 500g
- fresh mint - or fresh basil to garnish, optional
- vodka - 30g per serve for standard drinks, or white spirit of choice, optional
- Cut, dice and freeze watermelon (1kg) for about 2 hours. Freeze in a single layer on a baking tray with baking paper if possible.
- Place water (120g) and sugar (120g) into bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Stirring Speed.
- Add basil (bunch) to bowl. Mix Speed 2 / 20 seconds (until basil is wilted). Transfer to your container and allow to cool for 1-2 hours.
- Place the frozen watermelon (1kg), lemon juice (from 2 lemons) into bowl.
- Strain sugar syrup into bowl, pushing down with a spatula to get as much liquid as possible into the bowl. Add alcohol if you are choosing to.
- Blitz Speed 10 / 30 seconds. You may need to help it along with your spatula.
- Pour into glasses and garnish with fresh mint or basil leaves.