Warm Winter Salad with Citrus Dressing
Warm your winter with a burst of colour and fabulously fresh produce. This salad takes its rich colouring from the beetroot and sweet potato and is paired with the citrus tones from the dressing and the orange pieces. Serve with the Twice-Cooked Pomegranate Duck for a spectacular meal, or simply enjoy as it is.
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Total Preparation Time 1 hour
Best served fresh
- beetroot - 300g, peeled and diced into bite sized pieces
- sweet potato - 300g, peeled and diced into bite sized pieces
- duck fat - reserved from the Twice-Cooked Pomegranate Duck (or olive oil)
- orange - 1/2, juice only
- orange - 1/2, flesh only, in bitesized pieces
- dried thyme - 1/2 tsp
- mustard - 1 Tbsp, Dijon
- salt - 1 tsp
- olive oil - 70g
- rocket - baby leaves
- feta cheese - 50g, cut into small cubes with a sharp knife (*optional)
- Add the beetroot (300g) and sweet potato (300g) to the lower dish of the steaming attachment.
- Add hot water (500g) to the bowl and set the steaming attachment in place.
- Program 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Once steaming has finished drain the bowl, add the vegetables to the bowl to rough up the edges (it makes them more deliciously crunchy!) Reverse+Speed 4 / 5 seconds.
- Place the vegetables on a lined baking tray in a single layer.
- Drizzle duck fat (or olive oil) over the vegetables and sprinkle with salt.
- Cook for 20-40 minutes, checking regularly. For best results you want the edges a bit crispy, but not burnt.
- To make the dressing, add orange juice (from 1/2 orange), dried thyme (1/2 tsp), mustard (1 Tbsp), salt (1 tsp) and olive oil (70g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 10. Transfer into a small ziplock bag, or a salad dressing bottle.
- Assemble the salad by laying down a bed of rocket, laying the roast vegetables next, then the orange pieces, and then top with the feta cubes.
- If you wish to drizzle the citrus dressing you can do so by cutting a tiny corner out of the ziplock bag (be careful not to lose track of that little plastic triangle though!)