Warm Curried Couscous
Couscous can be underrated as it can be a bit... well, bland. Never fear, this recipe will help you jazz it up! The spiciness of the curry powder and the sweetness of the raisins and pomegranate arils really take this couscous to the next level. Serve this alongside our Thai Salmon on Bok Choy.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Delish and flavoursome. Fast and simple. An awesome, quick, fresh, flavoursome salad with the ability to be adapted." - Heidi
No: Dairy / Egg
Contains: Gluten / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 15 minutes
Can be frozen
- couscous - 300g
- chicken stock - 1 tsp, paste, or vegetable stock paste
- water - 250g, boiling
- chickpeas - 400g tin, rinsed and drained
- raisins - 100g
- pomegranate - 1, arils only
- almonds - 100g, flaked
- onion - 1/2, red, peeled and halved
- carrot - 100g, roughly chopped
- fresh coriander - 1/2 bunch, or fresh parsley
- apple cider vinegar - 50g
- olive oil - 50g
- curry powder - 1.5 Tbsp, good quality
- paprika - 1 tsp
- turmeric - 1 tsp
- sugar - 2 tsp
- Place couscous (300g), stock paste (1 tsp) and water (250g) into an insulated server and place the lid on top. Cover and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Place onion (1/2), carrot (100g) and coriander (1/2 bunch) into the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the vinegar (50g), oil (50g), curry powder (1.5 Tbsp), paprika (1 tsp), turmeric (1 tsp) and sugar (2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Cut the pomegranate (1) in half horizontally along its equator (i.e. don’t cut through the spiky bit at the top, cut the opposite way along the middle). Spread your fingers and lay the cut side of the pomegranate on your fingers. Have a bowl in front of you and, with a wooden spoon, bash the arils from the pomegranate into the bowl. You need to bash hard, and you may need to manually remove some. Take out any pieces of pith that fall into the bowl. Do this for the other side too.
- Fluff the cooked couscous with a fork and place into a serving bowl bowl along with the chickpeas (400g tin), raisins (100g) and pomegranate arils (from 1 pomegranate).
- Pour the dressing over the top and mix to combine well. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Top with flaked almonds (100g) and serve.