Walnut Coffee Cupcakes
Cupcakes are always welcome as a traditional afternoon tea sweet. These walnut coffee cupcakes will combine the afternoon ritual of coffee and cake, without having too much coffee to keep you up all night!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Delicious ... coffee and walnut are an awesome combination and with or without the icing I think these are a winner!" - Sue
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 15-20 minutes
Makes 24 small cupcakes, or 12 large
Can be frozen
- walnuts - 75g
- butter - 150g
- brown sugar - 150g
- eggs - 3
- plain flour - 150g (*can use GF)
- baking powder - 1 Tbsp
- vanilla - 1/2 tsp, extract
- coffee - 1/2 tsp, instant powder
- butter - 150g
- icing sugar - 300g
- coffee - 1 Tbsp, brewed, cold
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line either a mini cupcake tray or a normal cupcake tray with cupcake cases.
- Place the walnuts (75g) in the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 2 seconds. Remove and place in a separate mixing bowl until later.
- Place the butter (150g only), brown sugar (150g), eggs (3), flour (150g), baking powder (1 Tbsp), vanilla (1/2 tsp) and coffee (1/2 tsp) in the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped walnuts. Combine Reverse+Speed 4 / 20 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cupcake tins about 3/4 of the height and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes for mini cupcakes and 15-20 minutes for normal size cupcakes. Remove and leave to cool down.
- Place the butter (150g only) in the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds. Scrape down. Add the whisk attachment.
- Add the icing sugar (300g) and brewed coffee (1 Tbsp) to a separate bowl.
- Program 2:30 minutes / Speed 3.5. While whisking, slowly add the icing sugar and coffee through the lid.
- Pour into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe little stars on top of the cooled cupcakes.