Very Versatile Tomato Pasta Sauce
A quick, easy and tasty pasta sauce with no nasty preservatives or colours. It is exactly what it says – very versatile. Try it in soups, stews, on pizza bases... and of course, with pasta! You can freeze in four lots of 500g portions for easy future use.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Simple, straightforward, tasty and textured tomato sauce. Useful in multiple dishes." - Erika
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 26 minutes
Makes 2L of pasta sauce
Can be frozen
You will need:
internal steaming basket
- pasta - of choice, to serve (*can use GF)
- ricotta cheese - to serve (*omit for DF)
- fresh basil - shredded leaves, to serve
- onion - 2, large, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 5, peeled
- chilli - 1, red, optional
- carrot - 4, roughly chopped
- celery - 2 stalks, finely diced
- olive oil - 20g
- tinned tomatoes - 3 x 400g, whole
- tomato paste - 50g
- vegetable stock - 25g, paste
- white wine - 200g
- dried oregano - 2 tsp
- dried thyme - 2 tsp
- dried basil - 2 tsp
- dried parsley - 2 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, cracked black
- Add the peeled and quartered onions (2), peeled garlic cloves (5), red chilli (1, if using) and chopped carrots (4) to the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the diced celery stalks (2) and olive oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add the whole tomatoes (3 x 400g tins), tomato paste (50g), vegetable stock paste (25g), white wine (200g), dried oregano (2 tsp), dried thyme (2 tsp), dried basil (2 tsp), dried parsley (2 tsp), salt (1 tsp) and cracked black pepper (1 tsp) to the bowl. Program 20 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Speed 1. Set the internal steaming basket on top of the lid to prevent spatters.
- Carefully blend the sauce by slowly increasing the speed to Speed 6 / 10 seconds, measuring cap on. Please read your machine’s user manual for the correct method of safely blending soups, as each machine varies.
- Serve the sauce over cooked pasta of choice and top with a big dollop of ricotta cheese and sprinkle of basil.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
Make your own!
* Make your own ricotta with the Ricotta Cheese recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.
* Make your own tomato paste with the Pizza Sauce / Tomato Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.
* Make your own stock paste with the Odds and Ends Stock Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.