Versatile Vanilla Cake
This recipe has been shared with us by Lauren Fountain.
"This recipe works perfectly as a cake or for cupcakes! It is really delicious, easy and super versatile, making it the perfect cake for any occasion. I came up with this cake after lots of trial and error and never being 100% happy with the cake recipes I was finding! Tweak the flavouring to suit your family and enjoy!" - Lauren
Recipe Tester Feedback: "An extra quick and easy-to-make cake that is perfect for when you have unexpected guests pop in. They're sure to be impressed when you whip this up in no time at all." - Sue
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes (or 15 minutes for cupcakes)
Makes 1 cake or 12 cupcakes
Can be frozen
- butter - 90g, plus extra for greasing
- sugar - 120g
- self raising flour - 130g
- eggs - 2
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- milk - 120g
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a cake tin with baking paper.
- Add the butter (90g) to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / 70C / Speed 2.
- Add the sugar (120g), self raising flour (130g), eggs (2), vanilla (1 tsp) and milk (120g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
- This cake can be easily made into 12 cupcakes – bake for about 15 minutes.
- This is also a great base cake to add flavours such as lemon or lime zest, or frozen blueberries.
- The sugar may be further reduced to 80g if you wish.
- We love this dusted with icing sugar to serve.