Veggie Rice Fritters
This recipes has a large yield, making these fritters particularly good if you are cooking for a crowd or need to stock the fridge for a busy week. It can be even quicker if you have some leftover rice in the fridge! These are lovely served with tomato chutney.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “The fritters were a good meal for my family and a great way to sneak some vegetables into the children. The boys enjoyed them and wanted more, asking me to make them again another night." - Karissa
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes + cooling time
Cooking Time 1 hour
Makes 25 large fritters
Can be frozen
- rice - 160g, basmati, rinsed
- vegetable stock - 25g, paste
- water - 900g, hot, tap
- onion - 1/2 brown, peeled and halved
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- zucchini - 80g, grated (see Note)
- carrot - 80g, grated (see Note)
- sweet potato - 100g, grated (see Note)
- olive oil - 10g
- eggs - 5
- fresh chives - 1 small bunch, chopped
- vegetable stock - 1 tsp, paste
- oil - for shallow frying
- To serve:
- tomato chutney
- relish - tomato
- tomato sauce
- Rinse the rice (160g) really well under running water. Place the rice into the internal steaming basket. Add vegetable stock paste (25g) to the bowl.
- Set internal steaming basket in place. Pour hot water (900g) over the rice into the mixer bowl. Program 13 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 4, measuring cap on.
- Remove the rice and lay it out onto a tray. Place it in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes.
- To your clean and dry bowl, add the halved onion (1/2) and peeled garlic clove (1). Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the cooked rice, grated zucchini (80g), grated carrot (80g), grated sweet potato (100g), olive oil (10g), eggs (5), chopped chives (1 bunch) and vegetable stock paste (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 3 / 5 seconds, or until combined.
- Place oil into a large frying pan over medium to high heat.
- Spoon a tablespoon of mixture into the pan and flatten slightly. Repeat until you have a few in the pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and repeat until all fritters are cooked.
- Allow to cool completely before wrapping and placing into the lunchbox. We love this served with chutney, relish or tomato sauce for dipping.
Note: Be sure to grate the vegetables by hand to maintain a great texture throughout the patty and to eliminate excess liquid.
Make your own!
* Make your own tomato chutney with the Spicy Tomato Chutney recipe from The Classics Issue or the Christmas Chutney or Green Tomato Chutney recipes from The Gift Giving Issue.
* Make your own tomato relish with the Tomato Relish recipe from The BBQ Issue, the Canned Tomato Relish recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue or the Spicy Tomato Relish recipe from The Gift Giving Issue.
* Make your own tomato sauce with the Tomato Sauce recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue