Veggie Quinoa Tagine
This vegetarian dish has a beautiful balance of flavours, with a bitterness from the lemon and herbs, a sweetness from the dates and a touch of spice from the chilli. It certainly goes a long way, comfortably serving 8 people. It also makes a great side dish to use in lieu of pasta or rice. There is minimal preparation time before it cooks away in the oven for an hour - the perfect amount of time to help with homework, get showers done and be ready for dinner!
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Can be frozen
- quinoa - 1/2 cup, uncooked
- chickpeas - 400g can
- lemon - 1, peel
- onion - 1, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 2
- fresh parsley - 20g
- fresh coriander - 15g
- chilli - 1, to your preferred level of heat (from green with no seeds to red with seeds)
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, dried
- dates - 65g, dried
- oil - 15g
- tomatoes - 400g can, diced
- water - 400g
- vegetable stock - 30g, paste (the stock paste we use is made with half the recommended salt)
- potato - 500g, peeled & chopped into bite sized pieces
- sweet potato - 500g, peeled & chopped into bite sized pieces
- Put the quinoa (1/2 cup) into a fine mesh sieve and rinse thoroughly. Set aside.
- Pour the contents of the chickpea can into the simmering basket. Rinse thoroughly. Set aside.
- Put lemon peel into the bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 30 seconds.
- Add onion (1), garlic (2 cloves), parsley (20g), coriander (15g), chilli (1), cinnamon (1 tsp) and dates (65g) to the bowl.
- Chop Speed 7 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (15g). Program 5 minutes / 115C* / Speed 2, measuring cap off.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add tomatoes (400g), water (400g) and stock paste (30g). Program 7 minutes / 115C* / Speed 2, measuring cap on.
- Put potato (500g), sweet potato (500g), quinoa and chickpeas (previously rinsed and drained) into the base of the tagine.
- Once the timer goes off, pour the sauce from the mixer bowl over the items in the tagine.
- Put the lid on and cook for 50 minutes. Carefully take the lid off at this time and check that the quinoa and potatoes are cooked. Optional: continue cooking with the lid on if anything needs further time, or cook for 10 minutes with the lid off to firm the top slightly.
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.