Veggie Balls with Rice and Curry Sauce
These veggie balls are the perfect lunch or dinner for the whole family. They have a great texture. Leftovers? You can also fry them up the next day for a delicious veggie sandwich.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This meal is simple. If you are after something really simple but packing a lot of flavour, it is a must try. All family members loved it and went back for anything that was left." - Carly
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Cannot be frozen
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- onion - 1, peeled and halved
- oil - 15g
- water - 1.5L
- vegetable stock - 20g, paste
- quinoa - 150g
- oats - 70g (*or quinoa flakes for GF)
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, black, plus a pinch
- chilli powder - 1/2 tsp, or more to taste
- eggs - 2
- plain flour - 105g (*can use GF)
- butter - 20g, for greasing
- white rice - 250g, basmati
- sour cream - 100g
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, cracked, black
- mustard - 1 tsp
- curry powder - 2 tsp
- honey - 2 tsp
- Place the garlic cloves (2) and onion (1) in the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- .Add the oil (15g) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / 120C* / Speed 1.
- Add water (500g only), vegetable stock paste (10g only) and quinoa (150g)to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 2. Scrape down sides.
- Program 12 minutes / 90C / Speed 1.
- Add the oats (70g), salt (1/2 tsp), pepper (pinch), chilli powder (1/2 tsp), eggs (2) and flour (75g only) to the bowl. Combine Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Pour in a separate mixing bowl and leave to cool for 15 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, grease the upper tray and lower dish of the steaming attachment with butter (20g). Using wet hands, form teaspoons of the mixture into balls and place in the steaming attachment.
- Fill the bowl with the remaining water (1L) and remaining vegetable stock paste (10g). There is no need to wash the bowl first if you have removed the bulk of the ball mixture.
- Insert the internal steaming basket and add rice (250g).
- Put the steaming attachment in place. Program 30 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Remove the steaming attachment and the internal steaming basket and set aside while making the sauce.
- Without tipping out the water in the bowl, add the remaining flour (30g), sour cream (100g), salt (1/2 tsp), pepper (1 tsp), mustard (1 tsp), curry powder (2 tsp) and honey (2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 /5 seconds.
- Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Serve the veggie balls with the rice and sauce immediately.
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.