Vegetarian Tortilla Stack
A light and tasty Mexican lasagne with a twist! This is the perfect recipe to make and stick in the freezer for a last minute dinner. It freezes and reheats so well.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A great dish for a reluctant vegetarian, as it could easily pass as a meat dish. Would definitely make again!" - Annette
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 45 minutes
Can be frozen
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- onion - 2, peeled and quartered
- carrot - 2, roughly chopped
- oil - 10g
- taco seasoning - 3 Tbsp
- capsicum - 2, red, diced into 1.5cm cubes
- corn - 200g, frozen kernels
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, whole
- red kidney beans - 800g tin, drained and rinsed
- vegetable stock - 20g, paste
- tortillas - 10, corn or flour (*can use GF)
- cheese - 100g, grated
- To serve:
- sour cream
- avocado - peeled and diced
- tomato - fresh, diced
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- If you need to grate your cheese, add cubed cheese (100g) to the bowl and grate Speed 7 / 5-10 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the peeled garlic cloves (2), peeled and quartered onions (2) and chopped carrots (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the oil (10g) and taco seasoning (3 Tbsp) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 2, measuring cap off.
- Add the cubed capsicums (2), corn kernels (200g), whole tomatoes (400g tin), rinsed kidney beans (800g tin) and stock paste (20g) to the bowl. Program 20 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 2. Set the internal steaming basket on top of the lid to prevent spatters.
- In one of the springform pans, spread a thin layer of the sauce. Top with a tortilla (10 total), then add another layer of the sauce. Repeat this for half the tortillas and finish with a sauce layer.
- Using the remaining ingredients, repeat this process in the second pan.
- Top each with half the grated cheese (100g total) and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve cut into wedges with sour cream, diced tomato and avocado.
Make your own!
*Make your own taco seasoning with the Taco Seasoning recipe from The 5 Ingredients Issue.
*Make your own stock paste with the Odds and Ends Stock Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Subscriber Bonus Issue.