For a flavoursome way to start your Indian fake out meal, try these samosas! If you want to be extra organised, you can actually make the dough ahead of time so that you can be rolling and cutting the dough while the potatoes are cooking.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These samosas looked like ones you would buy from a take away shop, but they tasted so much better. None of my three kids have ever liked any form of potato, but my 9 year old devoured these, even after I told him what was in them. That in itself is a small miracle." - Kate
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Makes 30-40 samosas
Can be frozen before or after cooking
- oil - for frying
- plain flour - 600g, plus extra for dusting
- baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- water - 200g, ice cold
- vegetable oil - 150g
- potatoes - 500g, peeled and cubed
- peas - 100g, baby
- water - 600g, hot
- ghee - 50g (*use oil for DF)
- cumin - 2 tsp, seeds
- mustard seeds - 2.5 tsp, black
- turmeric - 1 tsp, ground
- dried fennel - 1/2 tsp, seeds
- garam masala - 1 tsp
- curry powder - 1 tsp, Indian (make your own with the Curry Powder recipe from The 5 Ingredients Issue)
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, black, ground
- Add the plain flour (600g), baking powder (1/2 tsp), salt (1 tsp), water (200g) and oil (150g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 5 seconds.
- Program 3 minutes / Closed Lid / Kneading Function.
- Place into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm. Set aside for 45 minutes.
- Add the potatoes (500g) and peas (100g) into the internal steaming basket. Set the basket in place. Add hot tap water (600g) to the bowl. Program 25 minutes / 100C / Speed 2, measuring cap on.
- Remove the basket and drain the water from the bowl.
- Add the ghee (50g), cumin seeds (2 tsp), mustard seeds (2.5 tsp), turmeric (1 tsp), fennel seeds (1/2 tsp), garam masala (1 tsp) and curry powder (1 tsp) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2.
- Add the potatoes, peas, salt (1 tsp) and pepper (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Program 4 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 2.
- Roll the pastry out on a floured board. Cut 12-15cm circles from the dough. Cut each circle in half to form semicircles.
- Spoon some of the potato mixture into the centre of each semicircle.
- Fold the edges of the pastry in to form triangles. Seal the edges with a fork.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium to high heat. Fill with 4cm of oil. Heat the oil to 170C.
- Carefully add a few samosas to the oil. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the samosas from the pan and drain on some paper towels.
- Repeat for all remaining samosas.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.