Vegetable Curry with Prawns
Oooh boy, this is a spicy one! The great thing about this curry is that it’s versatile. You don’t need to include prawns - you can just make it a vegetable curry! You could add chicken. You can change which vegetables you use based on what’s in the fridge and you can certainly make it less spicy (we’ll include some tips on doing this!) The great news is that it’s all-in-one so you can set and forget and come back to a yummy nutritious meal.
This recipe was originally featured in Episode 12 of the podcast.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 45 minutes
Can be frozen
- onions - 330g
- garlic cloves - 4
- chillies - 1-2 (adjust according to taste: half a chilli with no seeds for mild, 2 chillies with seeds for hot, or find somewhere in the middle!)
- oil - 20g
- cauliflower - 1 small head, in bite sized florets
- sweet potato - 1, peeled, cut into bite sized chunks
- zucchini - 1, sliced
- tomatoes - 400g tin, crushed
- curry leaves - 6 (adjust according to heat preference)
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- cayenne pepper - 1 tsp cayenne (adjust according to heat preference - can use much less)
- water - 400g
- prawns - 400g, frozen (optional)
- Add onions (330g), garlic cloves (4) and chillies (1-2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5-6 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g). Program 4 minutes / 110C* / Stirring Speed.
- While cooking, add cauliflower (1), sweet potato (1) and zucchini (1) to the steaming attachment lower dish.
- Add tomatoes (400g), curry leaves (6), cumin (1 tsp), mustard seeds (1/2 tsp) and cayenne pepper (1 tsp). Program 6 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add water (400g) to the bowl.
- Set the internal steaming basket in place and add prawns (400g).
- Set the steaming attachment into place. Program 30 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 3. Stir vegetable layer intermittently (every 10 minutes or so).
- Check that all vegetables are cooked to desired consistency and stir around if required. Program in further 5 minute increments if required.
- Combine vegetables, sauce and prawns in a big serving dish.
- Serve as is, or with rice, or fresh rice noodles.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.