- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
- Serving: Serves more than 10
Vegan Veggie Nuggets with Herbed Coconut Dipping Sauce
Perfectly suited for little hands, and lunchboxes too! These vegan nuggets are an especially great option for children with egg allergies. You can adjust the salt for younger children, even omitting it completely if you wish!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A healthy and yummy after school snack or casual snacky dinner. Great for entertaining with vegetarian guests." - Nerine
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 20-30 minutes
Makes approx. 30 nuggets
Can be frozen
You will need:
small serving bowl
3 mixing bowls
silicone basting brush
- coconut cream - 270g, 100%
- lemon juice - 20g
- salt flakes - 1 tsp
- dried onion flakes - 1 Tbsp
- dried chives - 2 tsp
- dried parsley - 2 tsp
- dried dill - 2 tsp
- garlic powder - 1/2 tsp, dried
- oats - 160g, rolled
- carrot - 150g, roughly chopped
- broccoli - 100g, florets
- chickpeas - 400g tin, do not drain
- nutritional yeast flakes - 4 Tbsp
- onion powder - 2 tsp
- garlic granules - 1 tsp
- vegetable stock - 1 tsp, paste, optional
- paprika - 2 tsp
- oil - of choice, for shallow frying
- Combine the coconut cream (270g), lemon juice (20g), salt flakes (1 tsp), dried onion flakes (1 Tbsp), dried chives (2 tsp), dried parsley (2 tsp), dried dill (2 tsp) and dried garlic powder (1/2 tsp) in a small serving bowl and mix to combine. Place into the fridge to allow flavours to develop.
- Add the rolled oats (160g) to the bowl. Process Closed Lid / Turbo / 3 x 0.5 second blasts. Set aside in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped carrot (150g) and broccoli florets (100g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Drain the chickpeas (400g tin) through a sieve, reserving the liquid (aquafaba) in a mixing bowl.
- Add the drained chickpeas, some of the reserved oats (100g only), nutritional yeast flakes (2 Tbsp only), onion powder (2 tsp), garlic granules (1 tsp) and vegetable stock paste (1 tsp, if using) to the bowl. Mix Speed 7 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Process again Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add some of the reserved aquafaba / chickpea liquid (20g). Blend Speed 4 / 5 seconds. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- To the small bowl with the remaining blitzed oats (60g), add the remaining nutritional yeast flakes (2 Tbsp) and paprika (2 tsp). Mix with a spoon. This will be your coating for the nuggets.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Put mounds of approximately 1/2 Tbsp of mixture along the baking tray like you would when baking cookies. You will be able to fit about half the mixture onto one baking tray. Leave the remainder in the mixing bowl.
- Drizzle some oil of choice in a large frying pan heated to a medium heat (or you can use multiple smaller frying pans, if you prefer).
- With wet hands, roll the mounds into nugget shapes.
- With a silicone basting brush, brush the reserved aquafaba / chickpea liquid over the nuggets. Turn the nuggets over and brush the other side too.
- Dip the nuggets into the paprika coating mixture and coat well, then transfer to the heated frying pan. Fry for a few minutes on each side until firm and golden.
- While the nuggets are in the frying pan, you can repeat steps 9-13 for the remaining mixture.
- Serve the veggie nuggets with the dipping sauce.
Make your own!
* Make your own stock paste with the Odds and Ends Stock Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.