Vegan Vanilla Bean Custard
Custard can be challenging to 'get right' for those that avoid eggs. Doubly so for those that need to avoid eggs AND dairy. This custard recipe has been created for those that need to avoid dairy and eggs, and also want to avoid refined sugar. The result is a lovely caramel-toned custard that is delicious on its own, or as a side to one of our other lovely desserts.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- rice milk - 300g
- vanilla pod - 1 (or 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste)
- dates - 2, medjool
- tapioca starch - 1 Tbsp, more if you require a thicker custard
- Remove seeds from the vanilla bean by slicing the leathery skin along the length of the bean and then using the blunt back of the knife to scrape the seeds out from the cavity of the bean.
- Add rice milk (300g), vanilla bean seeds and dates (2) to bowl. Blend Speed 10 / 30 Seconds.
- Add tapioca starch (1 Tbsp). Program 4 minutes / 90C / Speed 4.
- Can be served warm, or store in the fridge if you wish to have it cold.