Vanilla Custard Tarts
These custard tarts, shared with us by Lucy from Bake Play Smile, really are a must-make. Have one with a coffee, or serving them up for dessert with a big scoop of ice cream. They will take you back to the good old homestyle bakery days... guaranteed! If you like things on the sweet side, you may wish to add a little more sugar to the pastry and custard, as indicated.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Easy to make and looks fantastic!" -Sarah
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Can be frozen
- caster sugar - 50g (see Note)
- plain flour - 250g, plus extra for sprinkling
- butter - 150g, cold and chopped
- water - 50g, ice cold
- milk - 310g, warm
- vanilla - 2 tsp, extract
- caster sugar - 60g (see Note)
- eggs - 3
- nutmeg - 2 tsp, ground
- If you need to make your own caster sugar, add sugar (110g) to the bowl and grind Speed 9 / 3 seconds. Set aside 60g for the custard.
- To the remaining sugar (50g), add the flour (250g) and butter (150g) into the mixer bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 10 seconds (or until it resembles fine breadcrumbs).
- Add the water (50g). Program Closed Lid / Kneading Function / 1 minute.
- Transfer the dough from the mixer to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough into a ball. Wrap in clingfilm and pop it into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- When you're ready to use your dough, roll it out on a lightly floured surfacewith a rolling pin until it is 3mm thick.
- Cut 6 circles from the dough (you may need to cut a couple at a time and re-roll the dough out again).
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place the pastry into the tart cases so that it covers the bottom and sides of the tin. Trim off any extra at the top.
- Line the pastry with baking paper and fill with rice or baking weights.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the weights and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180C.
- Place the milk (310g) into the mixer bowl. Program 2 minutes / 80C / Speed 1.
- Add the vanilla (2 tsp) and caster sugar (60g). Mix Speed 2 / 15 seconds.
- With the blades still turning, add the eggs (3) through the lid and beat for Speed 2 / 20 seconds.
- Carefully pour the liquid into the tart cases and sprinkle with nutmeg (2 tsp).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until just set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Note: For a slightly sweeter option, you may wish to add an extra 50g to the pastry and custard.