Vanilla and Cardamom Shortbread
A perfect little biscuit to have on hand when guests are popping over, or to package up in a nice cookie jar and gift. Who doesn't love shortbread?
Recipe Tester Feedback: “These biscuits are delicious… the flavour of the cardamom is lovely but subtle, and they have a great shortbread texture. They were a hit!" - Sue
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 12-15 minutes
Serves more than 10
Can be frozen
You will need:
2 baking trays
silicone mat, optional
thin flat spatula
- butter - 250g, cubed
- sugar - 90g, plus extra for dusting
- cardamom - 2 tsp, ground
- vanilla bean paste - 2 tsp
- rice flour - 100g, fine
- plain flour - 300g, plus extra for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the cubed butter (250g), sugar (90g), ground cardamom (2 tsp), vanilla bean paste (2 tsp), fine rice flour (100g) and plain flour (300g) into the bowl. Blitz Speed 6 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Program 1 minute / Closed Lid / Kneading Function or until a dough has slightly formed. If it is too dry, add a few drops of water to bring it together.
- Sprinkle bench or silicone mat with a little flour and bring dough together.
- Roll out into 0.5-1cm thickness. If you find the dough a little sticky, try using a piece of baking paper between the dough and the rolling pin.
- Flour cutters lightly and cut shapes from the dough.
- Lift the cut out shapes onto the baking trays using a thin flat spatula.
- Sprinkle a little extra sugar and cinnamon on the top of each biscuit.
- Continue to knead, roll and cut shapes from the dough until all is used.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Leave them on the tray until cooled completely.