Upside Down Shepherd's Pies
We are changing things up! Shepherd's Pie with a twist. Traditionally, Shepherd's Pie is made from lamb (hence the "Shepherd's")... this one is made from beef. Traditionally, the potato is on top, we have turned it upside down! Rather than topping your mince mixture with potato, we are topping our potato with mince. This is a hearty delicious dinner perfect for a cold winters night, which is also grainfree. Team up with our Mini Coconut Dinner Rolls for more grainfree goodness.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 50 minutes
Mince mixture can be frozen
- sweet potatoes - 6, small, cut in half
- Mince mixture:
- beef mince - 500g
- onion - 1, peeled
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- bacon - 5, shortcut, rashers, roughly chopped
- olive oil - 5-10g
- carrot - 1, roughly chopped
- celery - 1, stalk, roughly chopped
- capsicum - 1/2, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- zucchini - 1, small, roughly chopped
- passata - 380g, or tomato puree
- water - 80g
- beef stock - 1, cube
- fresh basil - 1/2 bunch, leaves
- bay leaves - 2
- Pepper - to taste
- salt - to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place sweet potatoes (12 halves) on a baking tray and bake for 40 minutes until cooked through and soft.
- Place carrot (1), celery (1 stalk), zucchini (1 small) and capsicum (1/2) into bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
- Place the chopped vegetables into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Place onion (1), bacon (5 rashers) and garlic (2) in bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
- Add oil (5-10g). Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Add vegetables, water (80g), stock cube (1), passata (380g), salt, pepper and basil (half a bunch).
- Insert simmering basket into bowl.
- Break up mince (500g) into large chunks and place in basket.
- Place the bay leaves (2) on top. Program 22 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Remove bay leaves from mince mixture.
- Top each sweet potato half with some of the mince mixture. If you like you can scoop out some of the flesh of the potato to form a bowl before adding mince.
- Serve with steamed veggies.