Ultimate On The Go Bolognese
There is nothing better than homemade bolognese sauce. It brings a piece of Italy to your home and is a hit with kids. This ultimate bolognese sauce is the perfect companion for on the go meals. The secret to its soft texture is the milk, which helps break up the beef and adds a nice sweetness to the sauce. You can have it with roast potato, pasta or on toast and it is suitable for reheating the next day or even freezing for batch cooking. It stores in the fridge for 3 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This bolognese is AMAZING. It is the first that I have made in my thermo mixer that actually sticks to the pasta. The kids were asking for seconds and it's full of fresh goodness... what more could you want?" - Prue
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 Minutes
Cooking Time 50 Minutes
Can be frozen
- onion - 1, large
- garlic clove - 1
- olive oil - 5g
- butter - 50g
- star anise - 1g
- carrot - 150g
- celery - 150g, in sticks
- beef mince - 550g
- milk - 300g, full cream
- tinned tomatoes - 800g, chopped
- tomato paste - 75g
- red wine - 50g
- dried fennel - 1 pinch, seeds
- fresh oregano - 4 sprigs, leaves only
- nutmeg - 1 pinch
- salt - pinch
- pepper - pinch
- If you wish to serve your bolognese with grated Parmesan, consider adding your Parmesan block to the bowl now and grating Speed 8 / 8 seconds, then setting aside for later.
- Quarter the onion (1), and place in the bowl together with the garlic (1). Blitz Speed 5 / 2 seconds.
- Add the olive oil (5g), butter (50g) and star anise (1) to the bowl and cook 10 minutes / 110C* / Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- Carefully remove the star anise. Cut the carrots (150g) and celery (150g) into large pieces and place in the bowl. Blitz Speed 5 / 4 seconds.
- Cook 10 minutes / 110C* / Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- Add the beef mince (550g) in small chunks and the milk (300g) to the bowl. Cook 10 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Speed 2, measuring cap off. After 5 minutes, you may wish to reduce to Speed 1. Sit the internal steaming basked on the lid, with the measuring cap off, to prevent splatter.
- Add the tinned tomato (800g), tomato paste (75g), red wine (50g), fennel seeds (1 pinch), oregano (4 sprigs), nutmeg (1 pinch) and salt and pepper (to taste) to the bowl. Cook 20 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Speed 1. Sit the internal steaming basked on the lid, with the measuring cap off, to prevent splatter.
- Check the consistency of the bolognese. If you want the mince to be more broken up either use the spatula or combine on Reverse+Speed 3 for a couple of seconds.
- Serve with cooked spaghetti and grated Parmesan or try it with a baked potato, or simply on a slice of toast. Transfer leftovers to airtight containers for transporting on the go.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.