Twice-Cooked Pomegranate Duck
Our Twice-Cooked Pomegranate Duck will warm up your winter with the beautiful flavour combination of pomegranate and select spices. This duck is best served medium, and sliced thinly to serve. Serve it with the Warm Winter Salad with Citrus Dressing for a lovely fresh meal, perfect for a weekend lunch with friends.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 30 minutes + marinading time (4-24 hours)
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Serves 4 when served with a side dish
Best served fresh
- duck breasts - 2, large
- garlic clove - 1
- pomegranate - 200g, juice
- orange juice - 25g (approx.), squeezed from half an orange
- allspice - 1/4 tsp
- cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- dried coriander - 1/4 tsp, ground
- ginger - 1/4 tsp, ground
- paprika - 1/4 tsp
- cornflour - 1/4 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp, plus extra for drying the duck skin
- Score the skin of the duck, pat with a paper towel and sprinkle with a little salt (as pictured).
- Add the garlic (1 clove) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 2 seconds.
- Add pomegranate juice (200g), allspice (1/4 tsp), cinnamon (1/4 tsp), coriander (1/4 tsp), ginger (1/4 tsp), paprika (1/4 tsp), cornflour (1/4 tsp) and salt (1/2 tsp) to the bowl.
- Combine Speed 4 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Program 10 minutes / 115C* / Speed 2.
- Remove marinade from mixing bowl and put into a dish that will fit the duck breasts snugly.
- Preheat fry pan to a low heat. Do not add any oil.
- Place duck onto fry pan, skin side down. Leave for approximately 8 minutes. Do not move around on the pan, especially in the first few minutes. The skin will produce its own oil, but initially the skin can still stick to the pan.
- After 8 minutes check that there is quite a bit of fat in the pan, and the skin has browned.
- Transfer duck to the dish of marinade and coat well. Reserve duck fat from the pan in a small bowl. If you wish to serve the duck with the Warm Winter Salad, use the duck fat for cooking the roast vegetables.
- Cover in cling film and refrigerate. Marinate 4 - 24 hours.
- When it comes time to cook the duck, bring the duck out of the fridge before cooking to bring it to room temperature.
- Preheat the fry pan to low heat.
- Place the duck into the fry pan on the skin side for about 2-3 minutes to release some more fat into the pan.
- Cook for approximately 20 minutes, turning and basting in marinade as you go.
- Remove the duck from the heat and begin to slice thinly from the end. If it is cooked to your liking, continue to slice thinly before resting and serving. If you would like it to be cooked further, return to the heat. Duck is best served medium rare.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.