- Prep Time: 12h 20 min
- Cook Time: 10-20 minutes
- Serving: Serves 04-06
Have you ever had a truly fabulous falafel? To be honest, before I tried the real deal I thought falafel was a bit dry and tasteless. After a fabulously authentic falafel from a famous restaurant in Paris, my mind was changed. These are a must-have in your Turkish fake out dinner. They can be served as is (with or without a dipping sauce), or in between folded Turkish Flatbreads with your favourite sauces and salad items. - Bec
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These are very yummy. Light and tasty with a nice crunchy outside. I would make these again." - Kristen
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 20 minutes + 12 hours soaking time
Cooking Time 10-20 minutes
Makes 15 falafel balls
Can be frozen
- chickpeas - 400g, dried, soaked for 12 hours
- water - cold
- bread - 2 slices (*can use GF)
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- onion - 1/2, peeled and halved
- fresh parsley - 10g
- fresh coriander - 10g
- cumin - 1 tsp, seeds
- paprika - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Soak the chickpeas (400g) in cold water for at least 12 hours. Discard the water and rinse the chickpeas.
- Add the bread (2 slices) to the mixer bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 4 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the garlic cloves (4), onion (1/2), parsley (10g) and coriander (10g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the chickpeas, breadcrumbs, cumin seeds (1 tsp), paprika (1 tsp), salt (1 tsp) and pepper (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 8 seconds.
- Place the mixture onto a plate and shape 15 balls from the mix. Wet hands will help with this process.
- Place a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Add oil to the pan and heat it to 170C.
- Carefully place a few balls into the oil. Cook until a dark brown colour.
- Drain on paper towels. Repeat for all balls.
- Serve immediately.