Tomato relish is the saviour of any hearty dish. Whether you use it to dip your freshly prepared bread or have it on a burger, it adds a fantastic flavour to your meal. This tomato relish has just the right balance of sweet and savoury to create a beautiful companion for all your delicious delights. It goes particularly well with hard cheese. You can easily halve this recipe if you only want enough for one jar.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Richer than a tomato sauce and both sweet and spicy at the same time. My family will love this!" - Kylie
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Makes 3 large jam jars, approx. 400g each
Can be frozen
- onions - 500g, red, peeled and quartered
- chilli - 1, red, with or without seeds as preferred
- ginger - 4cm piece, peeled
- tomatoes - 1kg, halved
- brown sugar - 200g
- red wine vinegar - 150g
- cardamom - 5, green, pods
- paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Add red onions (500g), chilli (1) and ginger (4cm) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the tomatoes (1kg) to the bowl. Blend Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Add the blitzed onion mixture along with the brown sugar (200g), red wine vinegar (150g), cardamom pods (5) and paprika (1/2 tsp). Program 60 minutes / 100C / Speed 2. Sit the internal steaming basket on the lid.
- Wash the jam jars with warm soapy water and rinse well. Sterilise by boiling, or microwave for 1 minute sitting on a piece of towel.
- Once the relish is cooked, pour into the sterilised jam jars. Screw on the lids tightly and immediately tip the jars upside down to form a vacuum seal. Ensure you have a vacuum seal before storing your relish.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.