Tomato Pesto Tart
This fabulously colourful tart is the perfect centrepiece, and it can be made in advance! It has been shared with us by Sophia Handschuh from Thermomix Baking Blogger. It can be served warm or cold as an appetizer, a main or part of a feast. So yummy!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Tart looked and smelled amazing. It looked like a chef had prepared the meal." - Kirsty
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes + 45 minutes chilling time
Cooking Time 1 hour
Can be frozen
- Pastry (*for GF scroll to the bottom of the page):
- water - 50-75g
- plain flour - 225g
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- butter - 60g
- egg yolk - 1
- Pesto filling:
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- sea salt - pinch
- pepper - pinch, black, ground
- fresh basil - 20g
- cashew nuts - 30g, (*can use toasted sunflower seeds for NF)
- Parmesan cheese - 30g, in small pieces
- rocket - 20g, fresh leaves
- olive oil - 40g
- To finish:
- mozzarella cheese - 250g, torn
- cherry tomatoes - 400g, halved
- Weigh out water (75g) into a small jug. Set aside.
- Place the plain flour (225g), baking powder (1 tsp), salt (1 tsp), butter (60g) and egg yolk (1) in the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 20 seconds.
- Set to Closed Lid / Kneading Function and slowly pour in the water (50-75g) in a thin stream until the mixture resembles a dough. You may not need all the water.
- Remove from the bowl and form into a ball. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- Place the garlic clove (1), salt (pinch), pepper (pinch), basil (20g), cashews (30g), Parmesan cheese (30g) and rocket (20g) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 5 seconds.
- Add the olive oil (40g) to the bowl. Combine Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Pour in a separate bowl and keep aside until later.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and place on a floured surface.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Roll out to a large circle and line the 30cm tart dish. Prick the bottom with a fork and chill for 15 minutes.
- Line the shell with a piece of baking paper and fill with ceramic pie weights or dry beans. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pie weights and baking paper, then bake again for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Spread the pesto all over the tart shell. Scatter over the mozzarella (250g) by tearing it with your hands. Halve the cherry tomatoes (400g) and place on top, skin side down.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the tomatoes are toasted and lightly dried. Serve warm with a glass of red wine. Enjoy!