Tom Yum Soup
This delicious soup is not just a seafood recipe, but also very versatile as it includes a recipe for Tom Yum paste! It has been contributed by Tenina Holder.
"I have wanted to do this for ages. I absolutely love Tom Yum and always made it with a storebought paste, until now! A bit of investigation, a little tweaking, and here we have it. The paste is a recipe in its own right and of course will keep for ages in an airtight jar in the fridge and can be used for anything that Tom Yum paste can be used for. So I give you not one, but two recipes!" - Tenina
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Paste can be frozen
- Nam Prik Plao - 25g (roasted chilli paste)
- chillies - 2-4, Thai brids eye (tested with 2, seeds intact)
- shallots - 75g
- gula melacca - 10g
- shrimp paste - 25, fine
- fish sauce - 20g
- peanut oil - 35g
- fresh coriander - handful, roots, stalks, leaves
- lime - 1, zest and juice
- lemongrass - 2 stalks, white part only
- kaffir lime leaves - 3
- galangal - 30g
- garlic cloves - 3-4
- ginger - 30g
- water - 1L
- tomatoes - 400g, chopped
- chilli - 1, birds eye
- prawns - 1kg, in shell
- mushrooms - 200g, mixed
- corn - 100g, baby
- Place Nam Prik Plao (25g), chillies (2-4), shallots (75g), gula melacca (10g), fine shrimp paste (25g), fish sauce (20g), peanut oil (35g), coriander (handful of roots, stalks and leaves), lime zest and juice (from 1 lemon) into bowl. Blend Speed 5 / 30 seconds.
- Increase speed and blend for a further 1 minute / Speed 6.
- Scrape down sides. Program 15 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2, measuring cap on at an angle to allow reduction.
- Allow to cool.
- Place garlic cloves (3-4), ginger (30g), water (1L), tomatoes (400g), and chillies (2-4) into bowl with cooled paste.
- Place prawns (1kg) into steaming attachment lower dish and set into position. Program 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- When the 15 minutes is up, carefully remove the lid of the steaming attachment and add mushrooms (200g) and baby corn (100g). Program 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Distribute the prawns, mushrooms and baby corn between your serving bowls and pour the soup over them to serve.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.