- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Serving: Serves 06-08
Tom Kha Gai
This delicious soup, shared with us by Gabrielle Tobin from Kitch'n Thyme, is fantastically authentic! It's very low-carb and easy on the digestion. You can add vermicelli to it, however to keep it grain free and keep the carbs that little bit lower it doesn't need it!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Fantastic Thai soup. Great mix of flavours with agood hit of chilli." - Bec
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 28 minutes
Serves 6-8 smaller serves
Can be frozen
- bone broth - 800g (or chicken stock)
- coconut cream - 2 x 400g tins
- sea salt - 1.5 tsp
- kaffir lime leaves - 6
- fresh coriander - 6, roots and stalks, washed throughly
- lemongrass - 2 stalks, halved and bruised
- ginger - 4cm piece, sliced thinly
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled and bruised
- chicken breasts - 2, in bite-sized pieces
- mushrooms - 250g, button
- cherry tomatoes - 125g, halved
- spring onions - 4, cut into 4cm pieces
- vermicelli noodles - rice, optional
- chillies - 1-2, long red, finely diced
- sesame oil - 20g
- fish sauce - 20g (*ensure GF if required)
- fresh coriander - to serve
- Place the bone broth (800g), coconut cream (2 x 400g tins) and salt (1.5 tsp) into the mixer bowl.
- To the internal steaming basket, add lime leaves (6), coriander (6 roots andstalks), lemongrass (2 stalks), ginger (4cm piece), garlic cloves (2) and chicken breasts (2). Set the basket in place. Program 10 minutes / 90C / Speed 3. Stir chicken breast pieces.
- Continue cooking after stirring the chicken. Program 8 minutes / 90C / Speed 3. Remove the basket from the bowl with the spatula and discard everything but the chicken. Check that the chicken is cooked, take it out of the basket and set aside to cool slightly.
- Insert the whisk attachment and add the mushrooms (250g), tomatoes (125g), white stems of the spring onions (4) and rice vermicelli noodles(optional). Program 8 minutes / 90C / Reverse+Speed 3.
- Add the green pieces of spring onions, chilli (1-2), sesame oil (20g) and fishsauce (20g). Program 2 minutes / 90C / Reverse+Speed 3.
- Shred the chicken with a fork and add to serving bowls.
- Pour the hot broth over the top.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.
Already a member? Click here to login.