Channel your inner Italian by making this impressive, yet deceptively easy dessert. The delicious coffee flavour comes through and the texture of the finished product is absolutely divine to dig your spoon into.
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Setting Time 5 hours
Cannot be frozen
- coffee - 500mls, strong black, warm or cool
- eggs - 3, separated
- cream - 200g, thickened
- mascarpone cheese - 250g
- icing sugar - 2 Tbsp
- biscuits of choice - 1 packet, sponge finger
- cocoa powder - for dusting
- Place coffee into shallow dish.
- Insert whisk attachment into your clean dry bowl.
- Add egg whites (3). Speed 4 / 15 seconds. Scrape down sides. Repeat until soft peaks form. Set egg whites aside in a bowl.
- Clean and dry bowl and whisk attachment.
- Insert whisk attachment.
- Add egg yolks (3) and icing sugar (2 Tbsp) to bowl. Speed 4 / 45 seconds or until the yolks are pale and thick. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Add cream to the mixing bowl with whisk attachment still in place. Speed 4 / 30 seconds.
- Set aside cream into the bowl with the egg yolks. Add mascarpone (250g) and mix gently with a spoon to combine.
- Add the set aside egg white to the mixture. Fold in gently.
- Quickly dip sponge fingers into coffee and place into the base of the medium sized dish. Top with a third of the mascarpone mixture. Repeat with a sponge layer, dipping each in coffee. Top with half of the mascarpone mixture. Top again with coffee dipped sponge fingers. Top with the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Cover with cling film and place into the fridge for 5 hours to set completely.
- Dust with a little cocoa powder before serving.