Thyme and Balsamic Grilled Vegetable and Halloumi Stack
What an easy yet versatile marinade to use with veggies or meat for any BBQ night. This stack is a fantastic recipe to add to the menu for your vegetarian friends, although we think meat lovers out there will enjoy this one too!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “This dish is super simple to make but looks fancy on the plate and has so much flavour. Definitely a big improvement on the traditional BBQ!" - Kylie
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 8 minutes + 15 minutes marinating time
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- mushrooms - 4, large, portobello, stalk removed
- eggplant - 1, cut into 4 slices and then halved
- zucchini - 1, cut into 4 slices and then halved
- capsicum - 1, red, cut into 4 slices and then halved
- haloumi - 250g, cut into 4 slices and then halved
- fresh basil - 4 sprigs, to garnish
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- onion - 1/2, brown, peeled and halved
- balsamic vinegar - 50g
- olive oil - 40g
- fresh thyme - 1 Tbsp, leaves
- Side salad:
- rocket - 100g, leaves
- marinade - 1 Tbsp
- Add the peeled garlic cloves (2), peeled onion (1/2), balsamic vinegar (50g), olive oil (40g) and fresh thyme leaves (1 Tbsp) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp of marinade over the rocket leaves (100g) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mushrooms (4), sliced eggplant (1), sliced zucchini (1), sliced capsicum (1) and sliced halloumi cheese (250g) to another large mixing bowl. Pour 3/4 of the marinade over. Allow to stand for 15 minutes, or longer if time allows.
- Fire up the BBQ.
- Place the marinated veggies and halloumi over the grill section of the BBQ on a high heat, basting regularly with the remaining marinade. Cook the veggies to your liking.
- On a plate, place a grilled mushroom. Top with an eggplant slice, two slices of zucchini, another eggplant slice, a capsicum layer and finally the haloumi slices. Top with a basil sprig (4 total).
- Serve immediately alongside the rocket leaves.