This homemade version of the iconic Australian spread has been shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina. It provides a great gluten free option that tastes like the real deal.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This Thermomite is very strong flavoured, but like Vegemite™, it hits the spot just when you need it. It still goes well with cheese on toast, so I am happy." - Lauren
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Makes approx. 250g
Cannot be frozen
- black vinegar - 100g, Chinese (*ensure GF if required)
- coconut sugar - 50g
- sesame seeds - 50g, black, toasted (see Note)
- miso paste - 20g (*ensure GF if required)
- coconut aminos - 50g, or tamari sauce (*ensure GF if required)
- garlic powder - 2 tsp
- Add the Chinese black vinegar (100g) and coconut sugar (50g) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2, measuring cap off.
- Add the toasted black sesame seeds (50g), miso paste (20g), liquid aminos (50g) and garlic powder (2 tsp) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 10. Scrape down sides.
- Blend Speed 6 / 40 seconds.
- Scrape into a sterilised jar and keep sealed in the fridge between uses.
- Like Vegemite, this is very strong in flavour – use it sparingly.
Note: Don't try to replace the black sesame seeds with nigella seeds, which are often taken to be the same – they're not! If you cannot source the black sesame seeds, you can just use 50g toasted white sesame seeds or black tahini in place of the toasted seeds.