Thermobexta's Vegetable Lasagne
As the name would suggest, this superstar vegetable lasagne has been shared with us by Bec Allum from Thermobexta, from her book Main Meals Made Easy. What makes it a superstar? It feeds (and pleases!) a crowd, and really takes a whole lot of vegetables and makes them incredibly palatable, even for little people that may not enjoy vegetables.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A favourite in our house! A delicious vegetable lasagne that feeds a crowd and should keep the fussy kids happy too!" - Judy
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Can be frozen
- cheddar cheese - 100g, diced into 1.5cm cubes
- Parmesan cheese - 50g, diced into 1.5cm cubes
- ricotta cheese - 200g, fresh
- milk - 100g
- egg - 1
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, black, cracked
- onion - 200g, brown, peeled and roughly chopped
- garlic cloves - 5, peeled
- mushrooms - 20g, shiitake, dried, sliced
- olive oil - 30g, extra virgin
- water - 150g
- tomatoes - 400g, vine-ripened (or 400g tinned tomatoes and 100g water)
- carrots - 350g, roughly chopped
- zucchini - 200g, roughly chopped
- mushrooms - 100g, halved
- celery - 100g, roughly chopped
- capsicum - 75g, red, roughly chopped
- tomato paste - 150g
- vegetable stock - 1/2-1 Tbsp, paste
- fresh basil - handful, leaves (or 1 tsp dried basil)
- lasagne sheets - dried, instant, 150-180g (*can use GF; make your own with the Homemade Pasta Dough or Gluten Free Fresh Pasta recipes from The Steaming Issue)
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place cheddar (100g) and Parmesan cheese (50g) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 7 / 5 seconds, measuring cap on. Transfer half to a bowl and set aside.
- To the cheese left in mixer bowl, add ricotta (200g), milk (100g), egg (1) and pepper (1/2 tsp). Blend Speed 3 / 10 seconds, measuring cap on.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Rinse mixer bowl.
- Place onion (200g), garlic cloves (5), shiitake mushrooms (20g), oil (30g) and water (50g only) in the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 5 seconds, measuring cap on. Scrape down sides.
- Program 4 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1, measuring cap off.
- Add tomatoes (400g), carrots (350g), zucchini (200g), mushrooms (100g), celery (100g) and capsicum (75g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 4 / 30 seconds, measuring cap on, or until no large chunks remain.
- Add tomato paste (150g), stock paste (1/2-1 Tbsp), basil (handful) and remaining water (100g) to the bowl. Use a spatula to thoroughly combine ingredients. Program 12 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 2.5, measuring cap on.
- Program 13 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap on.
- Program 8 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap off, with the internal steaming basket on top of the lid to prevent splatters.
- In a 2.6L rectangular dish (approximately 17cm x 22cm x 5cm), layer sauce and lasagne sheets (150-180g total), alternating between the two (commencing and finishing with the sauce). Drop dollops of cheese mixture over the top and spread evenly over the entire surface.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese you set aside in step 2.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until lasagne sheets are soft and top is golden.