- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: Serves 06-08
Thai Wild Rice Salad with Mango
This scrumptious salad has been shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina. Mangoes not in season? Canned mango is perfectly fine to use. Don't have wild rice? Use brown. We think this salad is extra delicious served alongside some grilled chicken or salmon.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “This rice salad was a hit! With a mild chilli flavour, it wasn’t too overpowering. Great by itself or even with BBQ grilled chicken." - Kerry
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Serves 6-8 as a side dish
Cannot be frozen
You will need:
internal steaming basket
large mixing bowl
- wild rice - 200g
- water - 1L
- onion - 1/2, large, red, peeled and diced
- mango - 1-2, firm, peeled and diced
- chilli - 1-2, red, deseeded and chopped finely
- orange - 2, flesh only
- fresh coriander - 1 bunch, leaves only, roughly chopped (reserve roots and stalks for dressing)
- spring onion - 1-2, sliced diagonally
- peanuts - handful, roasted, salted
- olive oil - 50g, extra virgin
- shoyu - 25g, or tamari sauce (*ensure GF if required)
- lime - 1, juice only
- coconut sugar - 10g
- Variations / Serving suggestions:
- brown rice - to replace wild rice
- mango - tinned, to replace fresh mangoes
- chicken breast - grilled, to serve
- salmon - grilled, to serve
- Add the wild rice (200g) to the internal steaming basket. Set the basket in place. Add the water (1L) to the bowl. Program 30 minutes / 100C / Speed 4.
- Remove the basket from the bowl and allow the rice to cool. Drain the water from the bowl.
- Move the cooked rice into a large mixing bowl along with the peeled and diced red onion (1/2), peeled and diced mango (1-2) and deseeded and finely chopped chilli (1-2).
- Peel and segment the oranges (2) over the mixing bowl with the rice, allowing the juice to drip onto the salad as you do so. Discard the membranes.
- Roughly chop the fresh coriander (1 bunch), reserving the roots and stalks for the dressing.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves (from 1 bunch) and sliced spring onions (1-2) to the mixing bowl with the rice. Toss to combine.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil (50g), shoyu (25g), lime juice (from 1 lime), coconut sugar (10g) and reserved coriander roots and stems to the mixer bowl. Blend Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and top with the roasted peanuts (handful) just prior to serving.
Already a member? Click here to login.Add to Favourites