Thai-Style Chicken & Coconut Salad
This chopped salad looks impressive, but is actually quite simple. It has been kindly shared with us by Paula from Nourish Me Natural. It is a fresh flavoured nutritious summer salad that ticks all the boxes.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A very scrumptious, quick and easy salad that could either be eaten on its own or in wraps. You could also use leftover roast or steamed chicken to make this recipe even quicker. To take on a picnic I would put the salad and dressing in separate containers and combine just before serving." - Sharree
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Total Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- chicken breast - 2, quartered
- water - 500g
- apple - 1, cored and quartered
- onion - 1/2
- fresh mint - 2, leaves
- carrot - 2, roughly chopped
- tomatoes - 1, sliced in half
- baby spinach - 100g
- cashew nuts - 100g, optional
- lemon juice - 15g, from 1-2 lemons
- fish sauce - 15g
- sambal olek - 1 tsp, or to taste
- coconut milk - 25g
- spring onion - 2, cut into 5cm pieces
- kaffir lime leaves - 2-3
- fresh coriander - 1, leaves
- Add boiling water (500g) to the bowl and place internal steaming basket into place.
- Add the chicken pieces to the steaming basket and program 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Remove the steaming basket and allow the chicken to cool.
- To the clean dry bowl, add lemon juice (15g), fish sauce (15g), sambal olek (1 tsp), coconut milk (25g), spring onions (2), lime leaves (2-3) and coriander leaves (handful) to the bowl.
- Blend Speed 7 / 10 seconds. Decant and set aside.
- Without cleaning the bowl, add cooked chicken pieces to the bowl and shred Reverse+Speed 4 / 3 seconds. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Add apple (1), red onion (1/2), mint leaves (2 handfuls) and carrot (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 4 / 5 seconds. Add to the bowl with the chicken.
- Shred the baby spinach with a knife or keep whole and add to the other ingredients.
- Pour over the salad dressing. Use your spatula or salad servers to toss the salad to combine all ingredients and dish onto a large serving plate to serve.
- Top the salad with the tomatoes and cashews (optional) and garnish with a sprig of mint. Enjoy!
Transport this salad in a sealed airtight container with an ice pack. Take the dressing separately and combine just before serving. Don't forget to pack the salad servers! Serving on flatbread wraps is a great way of 'eating' your salad plate so there is less to clean up!