Thai Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
This is a deliciously spicy yet light soup that has been shared with us by Andrea Lee from Forking Foodie. It's ideal for summer or winter. From only 62 calories per serving, it's perfect to get you through a fast day with minimal calories, or you can reduce the stock for something heartier in winter. Great as a starter for a Thai meal too!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A amazingly delicious twist on a classic recipe that is bursting with flavour. A great work week recipe that you will make again and again" - Channy
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 7 minutes
Cooking Time 26 minutes
Can be frozen
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- ginger - 2cm piece, root, peeled and sliced into 2mm thick discs
- onion - 100g, peeled and quartered
- coconut oil - 5g
- red curry paste - 30g, Thai, or more or less to taste
- coconut milk - 200g, light (or use full fat, if you're not counting calories)
- pumpkin - 1, medium, butternut, peeled, halved, de-seeded and cut into 2-3 cm cubes (approx. 700g prepared weight)
- vegetable stock - 700g, or light chicken stock (or use less for a thicker soup)
- lime - 1/2-1, juice only, or to taste
- fish sauce - 1/2-1 Tbsp (*or light soy sauce for vegetarians, tamari for GF)
- fresh coriander - 10g
- Optional garnish suggestions:
- fresh coriander - leaves
- chillies - red, and spring onions, sliced or finely chopped
- coconut milk - drizzled in a swirl
- coconut - toasted
- pepitas - toasted
- Turn the motor to Speed 8 and drop the garlic clove (1) and ginger discs (from 2cm piece) onto the running blades.
- Turn the motor to Speed 4 and drop the onion (100g) onto the running blades. Scrape down sides.
- Add coconut oil (5g) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 5 / 5 seconds, measuring cap on. Scrape down sides.
- Program 5 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add Thai red curry paste (30g). Program 1 minute / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add coconut milk (200g) and give a quick stir with a spatula to loosen any solids under the blades.
- Add prepared pumpkin (approx. 700g) and hot liquid stock (700g, or less for a thicker soup) to the bowl. Program 20 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap on.
- Check the pumpkin is tender by inserting a sharp knife or skewer into a large piece. It won't look pretty at this point, as it will look as though the coconut milk has curdled, but don't worry, it will look lovely once it's been blended! Replace the lid with the measuring cap on. Gradually increase the speed to blend Speed 10 / 30 seconds. Please read your machine's user manual for correct method of safely blending soups as each machine varies.
- It's time to season the soup to your taste. Initially, add the lime juice (1/2 Tbsp) and fish sauce (1/2 Tbsp). Blitz Speed 4 / 2 seconds then taste and season further if you prefer. You can also blitz in further red curry paste at this point if you feel it needs more depth of flavour and more heat, as certain brands may be weaker in flavour than others.
- You can freeze or chill at this point (if you're making in advance) to re-heat when you're ready to serve. When you're ready to serve, add your preferred garnishes.