Thai Red Curry Fish Cakes
To start off your Thai feast, enjoy some delicious fish cakes! You will love the taste of these, and you'll love them even more when you know what is in them. As an added benefit, the recipe for these fish cakes includes a recipe for Thai red curry paste, so you can make your fish cakes and then make a curry! You can adjust the number of chillies in the paste or the amount of paste in the patties to suit your taste preference.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This recipe is very easy and tasty and would be great as an entree." - Bev
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 10-20 minutes
Makes 16 patties
Can be frozen
- Thai red curry paste:
- chillies - 6, large, red, deseeded and halved, or fewer to taste
- garlic cloves - 10, peeled
- eschallots - 4, peeled
- lemongrass - 1/2, stalk, roughly chopped
- galangal - 4cm piece, peeled and halved
- fresh coriander - 3 Tbsp, stems and roots
- shrimp paste - 1/2 tsp, or fish sauce (*ensure GF if required)
- dried coriander - 1 tsp, ground
- cumin - 1 tsp, seeds
- peppercorns - 1 tsp, black
- salt - 1 tsp
- lime - 1, zest and juice only
- water - 50g
- Fish cakes:
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- white fish fillets - 500g, boneless or bones removed
- eggs - 2
- cornflour - 2 Tbsp, or tapioca starch (*ensure GF if required)
- green beans - 100g, topped and tailed and finely sliced
- kaffir lime leaves - 6, rolled up and finely sliced
- vegetable oil - for frying
- Add the chillies (6), garlic cloves (10), eschallots (4), lemongrass (1/2 stalk), galangal (4cm piece), fresh coriander (3 Tbsp), shrimp paste (1/2 tsp), ground coriander (1 tsp), cumin seeds (1 tsp), peppercorns (1 tsp), salt (1 tsp), lime zest (from 1 lime), lime juice (from 1 lime) and water (50g) to the bowl. Blend Speed 9 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat this process until a paste is formed. It can be as chunky or smooth as you like.
- Store in a jar for up to a week or in the freezer for 3-6 months.
- Add the garlic clove (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds.
- Add the prepared red curry paste (2 Tbsp only, or to taste), fish (500g), eggs (2) and cornflour (2 Tbsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Add the beans (100g) and shredded lime leaves (6) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 4 / 6 seconds.
- Remove the mixture from the bowl and move it onto a plate.
- Shape 16 patties from the mixture. Place onto a plate and store in the fridge while heating the oil.
- Place a large saucepan over high heat until the oil has reached 170C.
- Remove a few fish cakes from the fridge at a time and carefully fry by cooking for a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve immediately.