Tempura Chicken Nuggets
Yum scrum! For basic chicken nuggets that the whole family will enjoy, look no further. Simply choose a yummy dipping sauce to serve these with – the choices are endless! A sweet chilli sauce or a zingy aioli would be our pick! You will have saved yourself a trip to the drive through (and they will be a darn sight yummier too!)
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Tired of crumbed chicken? Then this tempura chicken nuggets are a great alternative. The light crispy batter is something a little different. Serve with sweet chilli or peanut sauce." - Gail
No: Dairy / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 10-20 minutes
Makes approx. 20 nuggets
Can be frozen once cooked
- plain flour - 180g
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, black
- oil - for frying
- Chicken breast - 500g, sliced into nugget-sized shapes
- egg - 1, chilled
- water - 220g, ice cold
- plain flour - 160g, sifted twice
- ice cubes - 5
- Preheat the oven to 180C or warm an insulated server. Line a baking tray with baking paper if not using a server.
- Put your mixing bowl in the fridge to chill.
- Combine the plain flour (180g), salt (1 tsp) and pepper (1/2 tsp) in a shallow dish. Set aside.
- Add the egg (1) to the bowl. Mix Speed 8 / 5 seconds.
- Add the iced water (220g) and plain flour (160g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 8 / 5 seconds to just combine. Do not overwork.
- Pour into the chilled mixing bowl. Add ice cubes (5) to the bowl. Allow to sit while you heat the oil.
- Heat the oil to 170C in a deep saucepan or deep fryer. Be very careful to avoid splashes.
- Dip the chicken nuggets (500g) into the seasoned flour and then the batter, before carefully moving them into the saucepan a few at a time. Be very careful to avoid splashes.
- Gently turn the nuggets over in the oil to brown them on all sides, carefully avoiding any splashes of oil.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the nuggets from your pot and place them onto a baking tray. Keep them in the oven while you finish all of the nuggets, or keep the nuggets in a warmed insulated server.
- Serve with dipping sauce of choice once all of the nuggets have been cooked.