- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: Serves more than 10
This recipe has been shared with us by Claire Buchtmann.
"This is a sweet coleslaw, similar to that of a well known fast food outlet. It's a recipe that I get asked to make for all BBQs that we go to, and in the summer we always have it in the fridge. It makes a large number of servings – we usually have it at a BBQ and it serves at least 8 people with lots left over. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare. I often make butter before I make this, so I have fresh buttermilk – otherwise I defrost and use buttermilk that's in the freezer." - Claire
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A really delicious coleslaw variety with a slight tang and lovely dressing." - Kristen
No: Gluten / Nuts
Contains: Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Egg
Total Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- mayonnaise - 100g (*can use EF; make your own with the Mayonnaise recipe from The 5 Ingredients Issue or the Egg Free Mayonnaise recipe from The Tea Party Issue)
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 2 pinches, ground
- sugar - 100g, granulated (or to taste)
- milk - 60g
- buttermilk - 60g
- lemon juice - 1.5 Tbsp
- white vinegar - 1.5 Tbsp
- cabbage - 1/2 head, roughly chopped
- carrots - 2, roughly chopped
- apple - 1, green, cored and quartered
- onion - 1/3, red, peeled
- Add the mayonnaise (100g), salt (1/2 tsp), pepper (2 pinches), sugar (100g), milk (60g), buttermilk (60g), lemon juice (1.5 Tbsp) and vinegar (1.5 Tbsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the cabbage (1/2 head), carrots (2), apple (1) and red onion (1/3) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides and check the consistency.
- Continue repeating Speed 5 / 2 seconds until your desired consistency is reached.
- Add half of the mayonnaise mixture to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 3-4 / 3 seconds. Add more of the mixture to reach your desired consistency. The amount of dressing will depend on the size of your cabbage, carrot and apple. If you're only using mini cabbage or small carrots and apple, then only half of the dressing will be needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or airtight container. Store in refrigerator. Can be made in advance, as the flavours improve even more overnight.