Sweet Vanilla Chai Poached Pears
This is a beautiful sweet to serve at the end of the meal. You can have it bubbling away in the background and serve it warm, or easily make it ahead of time and serve it cold... and a dollop of ice cream certainly doesn’t go astray!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I could taste all the spices in this modern take on poached pears. It is a great dessert to have on a cold winter night and don't forget to add the vanilla ice cream on the side." - Jodie
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- sugar - 150g
- water - 600g, hot
- ginger - 1 Tbsp, ground
- nutmeg - 1 Tbsp, ground
- cinnamon - 1, quill
- vanilla pod - 1
- pears - 4, small (to fit in the internal steaming basket)
- lemon - 1/2, juice only
- Add sugar (150g), hot water (600g), ginger (1 Tbsp), nutmeg (1 Tbsp), the cinnamon quill (1) and vanilla bean (1) to the bowl.
- Peel the pears (4), leaving about 2cm of skin around the stem.
- Put the internal steaming basket in place and sit the pears in the basket.
- Squeeze the lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon) over the pears. Program 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 2, measuring cap on.
- Carefully remove the internal steaming basket with the spatula and set aside.
- Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 2, measuring cap off.
- Drizzle each pear with a little of the remaining syrup from the bowl, sparing the vanilla bean and the cinnamon quill. Serve with a dollop of ice cream, if you like!