Sweet Potato Stuffed with Paleo Beef Chilli
Feeding a crowd while considering time, budget AND health can be challenging. We’re up for that challenge and have developed this recipe to satisfy your family and friends without breaking the bank. Don't be put off by the list of ingredients. This meal feeds a small crowd! Mince is great way to add protein without the expense. These days there are varying grades of mince to suit all budgets. Buy one that fits yours.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Tasty, nutritious and versatile. Vary the meat, vegetables and herbs according to what is available to keep it as thrifty as possible." - Erika
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Chilli can be frozen
- Sweet potato:
- sweet potatoes - 8-10, approx. 200–300g per potato
- Beef chilli:
- onion - 200g, brown, peeled
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- celery - 150g, chopped into pieces
- capsicum - 200g, red, chopped into pieces
- carrot - 200g, chopped into pieces
- green beans - 120g, cut into 2cm pieces (or substitute with frozen peas)
- coconut - 20g, or olive oil
- mushrooms - 200g, sliced
- chilli flakes - 1/2-1 tsp, dried
- cumin - 2 tsp, ground
- dried coriander - 2 tsp, ground
- beef mince - 500g
- vegetable stock - 55-80g, paste
- passata - 200g, tomato, or diced tomatoes
- tomato paste - 70g
- Cashew cream: (*omit for NF)
- cashew nuts - 100g, raw
- lemon juice - 10-20g
- water - 40-70g, filtered
- salt - 1/4 tsp, ground
- To serve: (optional)
- baby spinach - handful, leaves
- fresh basil - or fresh coriander leaves, lightly chopped/torn
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Prick each potato (8-10) several times with a fork. This will allow some of the steam to escape and prevent the potato from exploding.
- Place potatoes onto the baking tray and place into the oven. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until potatoes are cooked.
- Prepare filling while potatoes are cooking. Add the onion (200g), garlic cloves (3), celery (150g), capsicum (200g), carrot (200g) and beans (120g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 4 seconds.
- Add oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off. Place the internal steaming basket on top to avoid splatters.
- Add the mushrooms (200g), chilli flakes (1/2-1 tsp), cumin (2 tsp), coriander (2 tsp), beef (500g), stock paste (55-80g), tomato passata (200g) and tomato paste (70g) to the bowl. Stir with spatula to combine well. Program 15 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap off. Place the internal steaming basket on top to avoid splatters.
- Once cooked, place spinach (handful) and basil leaves into the base of your insulated server, pour mince mixture on top and keep warm until required. Rinse out the bowl.
- Add cashews (100g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 10-15 seconds until they are a fine powder.
- Add lemon juice (10-20g), water (40-70g) and salt (1/4 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 3 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Mix Speed 4 / 30 seconds until smooth. Set aside in a small bowl.
- To test if potatoes are cooked, slide a fork or small knife into the potato. It should slide in and out easily.
- Once they are cooked, use a towel or oven mitt to hold each potato and slice them lengthways (without slicing all the way through) to create a pocket that can be stuffed.
- Assemble your potatoes as desired. Serve.