Sweet Potato, Spinach & Pine Nut Bake
This is a delicious side dish that is not only great to serve with a hot Christmas lunch but as a general side for throughout the year. It also makes a nice addition to a vegetarian lunch. It’s a nice change from a traditional potato bake and just as easy to whip up. To change this dish up, use any veggies you like as the base. A mixture of cauliflower and broccoli is just as delicious and lower in carbs.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Yum! We've put this on the list for Christmas Day!" - Penny
No: Gluten / Egg
Contains: Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- sweet potato - 800g, peeled and cubed
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- butter - 10g, or oil
- mustard - 3 tsp, wholegrain
- cream - 300g, thickened
- Parmesan cheese - 40g, grated
- nutmeg - 1/4 tsp
- salt - to season
- pepper - to season
- baby spinach - 80g, leaves
- pine nuts - 40g (*can omit for NF option)
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place sweet potato (800g) into a large casserole dish with 1cm of water in the bottom. Cover with clingfilm, ensuring it doesn't come into contact with the food, and steam in the microwave for 8 minutes to start the cooking process.
- Add onion (1) and garlic (2) to bowl. Speed 7 / 6 seconds.
- Add butter (10g) and wholegrain mustard (3 tsp) to bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Add cream (300g), Parmesan (40g), nutmeg (1/4 tsp) and season well with salt and pepper. Program 10 minutes / 90C / Speed 2.
- Sprinkle spinach (80g) in a layer over the sweet potato.
- Pour sauce over the spinach and sweet potato. Stir gently to combine.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts (40g) and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until golden.