Sweet Potato Pie
This is a reader recipe from Darlene: "I am from America (now in Australia) but still keep the tradition of a proper Thanksgiving Dinner. This is a specialty that is part of the meal which so many Aussies raise their eyebrows at until they try. It accompanies the turkey and isn't a dessert but a very sweet side dish"
Please note: The 4 Blades Magazine has converted Darlene's recipe to suit thermomixers. We have tried this recipe with both store bought and homemade marshmallows. Store bought works best. We have served this in individual ramekins.
No: Gluten / Egg / Tree Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Serves 6-8 as a side
Cannot be frozen
- sweet potatoes - 5, peeled and small cubed
- water - 500g, warm
- butter - 50g
- cinnamon - 1 pinch
- brown sugar - 95g, packed
- orange juice - 4 Tbsp
- marshmallows - 200g
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Place sweet potatoes (5) into lower dish of internal steaming attachment.
- Fill bowl with water (500g) and put internal steaming attachment into place.
- Program 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 3. Check that potatoes are cooked through. If they aren't, continue steaming until they are cooked through.
- Once cooked through, pour water from bowl and place sweet potatoes into a large bowl.
- Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Add butter (50g), cinnamon (pinch), brown sugar (95g) and orange juice (4 Tbsp) to sweet potatoes.
- Mix until combined and butter has melted.
- Place into a large casserole dish, or smaller ramekins, like we have done.
- Sprinkle with marshmallows and bake until golden brown.