Sweet Potato Fish Cakes
For a super healthy version of the classic fish cake, try this yummy recipe made with sweet potato and cod. Before adding the egg, you can actually keep some of the potato and cod mash as a simple baby food. Otherwise, you can spice it up with a bit of chilli or cayenne pepper for the heat-lovers. Keep the fish cakes refrigerated for up to 3 days and serve as a lunchbox treat for the kids.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Super easy and tasty lunch option, which is also great for lunchboxes." - Liz
No: Dairy / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes + min. 4 hours cooling time
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Can be frozen
- sweet potato - 1 (about 250g-300g), peeled and chopped in 2cm cubes
- cod - 250g, in 4cm chunks, fillet
- water - 500g, hot
- lemon - 1/2, juice only
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, black
- eggs - 2
- oats - 100g, rolled (*or use GF breadcrumbs)
- olive oil
- Add hot water (500g) to the bowl. Add the sweet potato pieces (250-300g) and cod pieces (250g) to the internal steaming basket and set into place. Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Remove lid and stir contents of the basket around.
- Program 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Ensure fish and sweet potato is cooked through. Carefully remove the internal steaming basket with your spatula. Drain the bowl.
- Transfer fish and sweet potato to the bowl of your mixer. Mash Speed 5 / 10 seconds.
- Add the lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon), salt (1/2 tsp), pepper (1/2 tsp) and egg (1 only) to the bowl. Combine Speed 4 / 10 seconds. Transfer into a small bowl and leave to cool entirely in the fridge. Allowing to cool overnight works well.
- Place the oats (100g) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 6 / 2 seconds.
- Transfer to a large plate and crack the remaining egg (1) into a small bowl. Take the fish cake mixture and make small patties using your hands. Dip each patty into the egg first and then coat well in the oats.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan with some olive oil and fry each fish cake for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.