Sweet Potato and Feta Cannelloni
We were so excited to create this grain free vegetarian cannelloni for you. Oh boy... seriously yummy! If you don't need to be grain free, simply buy some fresh pasta sheets or make your own with the Homemade Pasta Dough recipe in The Steaming Issue. The flavours are so so yummy! Using the quantities in this recipe we made two dishes - one to eat straight away and one to freeze for later! Check out the bottom of the recipe for handy freezer tips.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Just had the most delicious dinner! When I make a new recipe I get the family to rate if it's a make again or not. Kids reckon it is most definitely a make again. I'm so glad there is another whole meal of this in the freezer. Two thumbs up!" - Terri
No: Gluten / Nuts
Contains: Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 1 hour
Cooking Time 50 minutes
Can be frozen
- potato starch - 100g
- tapioca starch - 150g, plus extra for rolling
- eggs - 3
- xanthan gum - 1.5 tsp
- olive oil - 40g
- Sauce and filling:
- onion - 2, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- olive oil - 20g
- tinned tomatoes - 800g, diced
- tomato paste - 75g
- vegetable stock - 50g, paste
- dried oregano - 2 tsp
- sweet potato - 500g, peeled and diced
- fresh parsley - handful, chopped
- semi dried tomatoes - 35g
- egg - 1
- feta cheese - 100g
- Parmesan cheese - 30g, grated
- cheddar cheese - 70g, grated
- If you need to grate your cheese, add Parmesan cheese (30g) to the bowl and grate Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Add cheddar cheese (70g) to the bowl and grate Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Add potato starch (100g), tapioca starch (150g), eggs (3), xanthan gum (1.5 tsp) and oil (40g) to the bowl. Combine Speed 6 / 10 seconds.
- Turn out the dough onto a bench floured with tapioca starch. Roll together in a ball. Wrap in clingfilm and transfer to the fridge.
- Once the sauce and filling is cooking, take the dough out of the fridge and divide into 4 parts. Using a rolling pin or pasta machine, roll a piece of dough out into a large thin sheet of dough (paper thin). Cut each sheet into squares with 12cm sides (approximately). Set the squares aside to be filled later.
Sauce and filling:
- Add onions (2) and garlic cloves (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 1 second. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap off.
- Add tomatoes (800g tin), tomato paste (75g), stock paste (50g) and oregano (2 tsp) to the bowl. Blend Speed 3 / 5 seconds.
- Set the internal steaming basket in place and add the sweet potato (500g) to the basket. Program 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 2, measuring cap on.
- Once steaming has finished, check that the sweet potato has cooked through, and use the spatula to safely remove the internal steaming basket from the bowl.
- Set the sauce aside in a small bowl.
- Without washing the bowl, tip in the cooked sweet potato, along with the parsley (handful), semidried tomatoes (35g), egg (1) and feta cheese (70g only). Combine Speed 4 / 20 seconds.