Sweet Potato and Bacon Soup
This soup really shows us the beauty of the thermo mixer and slow cooker combo. It is featured in Mixing It Slow Volume 2 from The Road to Loving My Thermo Mixer. It is a great soup to prep, leave to cook and then come back to eat in a few hours' time. By blending it at the end, you can enjoy a smooth soup with a smokey bacon flavour.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Delish! An amazing smokey bacon taste!" - Heidi
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 5-6 hours
Serves 6-8, can be doubled
Can be frozen
You will need:
- leek - 1, roughly sliced
- bacon - 300g, double smoked, roughly chopped
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- butter - 20g, can use oil for DF
- sweet potato - 1kg, peeled and diced
- carrot - 200g, diced
- chicken stock - 1.5L, good quality, liquid
- Add the sliced leek (1), chopped bacon (300g) and peeled garlic cloves (2) into the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the butter (20g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Move the mixture to the slow cooker, along with the peeled and diced sweet potato (1kg), diced carrots (200g) and liquid stock (1.5L). Season well with salt and pepper.
- Cook on Low for 5-6 hours.
- Carefully ladle the soup into the mixer bowl. Blend by gradually increasing the speed to 1 minute / Speed 6 or until smooth. You will need to do this in several batches. Please read your machine’s user manual for the correct method of safely blending soups, as each machine varies.