Sweet Pie Pastry
It's pie time! It's easy to make your own delectable pastry, and you can simply fill it with one of the fillings on the following pages. Use this pastry along with your choice of our Blueberry Pie Filling, Apricot Pie Filling, Apple Berry Pie Filling and Summer Peach Pie Filling to impress your family and friends because YOU have made them... from scratch!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "The pastry worked well! It was so easy to roll and form as the pie base and then a layer on the top." - Kirsty
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 5 minutes + 20 minutes chilling time
Cooking Time 30-40 minutes
Makes enough pastry for 1 x 22cm pie
Can be frozen
- pie filling of choice - see other recipes in this issue
- water - 30g, cold
- caster sugar - 75g
- butter - 110g, cubed, cold
- plain flour - 250g, plus extra for dusting
- vanilla - 1/2 tsp, extract
- egg yolks - 3
- egg - 1, lightly beaten
- Weigh the cold water (30g) into the measuring cap. Set aside.
- Add sugar (75g) to the bowl. Grind Speed 9 / 20 seconds.
- Add the butter (110g), plain flour (250g), vanilla (1/2 tsp) and egg yolks (3) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 25 seconds while adding the water (30g) through the lid.
- Place the mixture on a floured surface, flatten and wrap in clingfilm and transfer to the fridge for 20 minutes. You can now make the filling while waiting for the pastry to chill.
- Take out the pastry. Cut 1/3 of the pastry off and return it to the fridge, covered in clingfilm.
- Roll the remaining 2/3 into a large circle and use the pastry to line a 22cm pie dish. Leave the overlapping sides as they are until later.
- Place filling of choice into the pastry base.
- Remove the remaining 1/3 of the pastry from the fridge and roll it out into a circle that can cover the pie. Place it carefully on top of the filling and use a fork to seal the bottom and top edges together. You can trim off any excess pastry at this stage and rewrap in clingfilm to use at another time or create some decorations for the pie.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg (1) and poke a few holes in the pie with a knife to let the steam out while it is cooking.
- Preheat oven to 180C then bake pie for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve pies warm with a dollop of ice cream or some fresh cream.