Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce
A sweet and sour dipping sauce without a tonne of refined sugar... you won't find this on the shelves at the shops! And yet, it's still really yummy. Use this sauce over some leftover roast pork for an easy sweet and sour pork, or thin it out with some stock and use as a stir through for sweet and sour stir fry.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “This sauce is super yummy! Tart and sweet. The kids and adults will all love it." - Lauren
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 31 minutes
Cannot be frozen
You will need:
airtight jar or bottle
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- ginger - 2cm piece, peeled
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- chilli - 1, to your preferred level of heat
- oil - 20g
- pineapple juice - 150g
- tomato paste - 40g
- balsamic vinegar - 30g
- salt flakes - 1 tsp
- cornflour - 2 tsp, or tapioca starch, *use tapioca to ensure GF
- water - 40g, hot
- Add the peeled and quartered onion (1), peeled ginger (2cm piece), peeled garlic clove (1) and chilli (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5-6 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Add pineapple juice (150g), tomato paste (40g), balsamic vinegar (30g) and salt flakes (1 tsp) to the bowl. Program 20 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Mix the cornflour (2 tsp) and hot water (40g) together in a small bowl and add to the mixer bowl. Program 6 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight jar or bottle in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Make your own!
* Make your own tomato paste with the Pizza Sauce / Tomato Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.