Sultana Tea Bread
This bread is budget-friendly yet deliciously dense bread. Cut a big slice and cover in butter and jam for a delicious afternoon treat alongside a cup of tea.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "It was lovely and crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside and was perfect for afternoon tea. So easy to make too!" - Anita
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 15 minutes + 2 hours soaking time
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Can be frozen
- water - 250g, boiling
- tea - 2 bags of choice
- sultanas - 170g
- sugar - 160g
- self raising flour - 340g, (*can use GF flour if required)
- butter - or jam, to serve
- Dunk the teabags into the water a few times until dark in colour.
- Add the sultanas (170g) to the tea.
- Allow to sit for 2 hours. The longer they soak, the better. If possible, leave this overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Into the mixer bowl add the sultana mix (water and sultanas only - discard tea bags), sugar (160g) and flour (340g).
- Mix on Reverse+Speed 3 until just combined. Do not over mix or you will break up your sultanas. This will be a thick batter.
- Pour into prepared tin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with butter or jam.