Sugar and Spice Cookies
Whatever cookie shape you choose, these babies will taste delicious. They’re crisp and crumbly and have a taste of sugar and spice and all things nice! They have been shared with us by Sam Colden from The Annoyed Thyroid. Check out the bottom of the recipe for handy freezer tips.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "An excellent freezer standby for unexpected visitors or other need for a little sweet treat … they taste yummy and can be baked fresh from the freezer … hmm maybe a little too convenient!" - Sue
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Can be frozen
- plain flour - 225g, plus extra for dusting
- brown sugar - 165g
- ginger - 2 tsp, ground
- mixed spice - 1 tsp
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- butter - 150g, roughly chopped
- egg - 1, yolk only
- raw sugar - 55g
- Place flour (225g), brown sugar (165g), ginger (2 tsp), mixed spice (1 tsp), cinnamon (1/2 tsp) and butter (150g) in the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 10 seconds. The mixture will look crumbly.
- Add egg yolk (1) to the bowl. Mix Closed Lid / Kneading Function / 10-20 seconds.
- Bring the dough together on a floured surface and knead until smooth. Cover the ball of dough with clingfilm and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each portion between two sheets of baking paper about 3mm thickness. Return to the fridge for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C and line three baking trays with baking paper.
- Cut shapes out of dough and place on trays. Sprinkle with sugar (55g).
- Bake for about 10 minutes (depending on size of cookies) until golden. Cool on trays.
- After Step 3 divide the dough into two portions. Roll each portion into a log, wrap in clingfilm and freeze. As required, you can slice off a piece of cookie dough and bake as per the instructions above but adding a little extra time. These cookies do not spread very much when baking.